Monday, July 6, 2009

Day 10- Yema (candy) balls



TODAY'S RECIPE: Yema Candy Balls

Blog Commentary: I went to the dentist today. This was my first check up in about a year and a half. Before then, I still had to get some things done to my teeth (I'm not a good flosser). Suffice it to say that the check up didn't go well. Basically throughout the whole process as Dr. Lee was naming teeth numbers and acronyms that I think he made up because I've never heard anyone say those acronyms before, I was cringing with every deep as he made as we was looking at my teeth and looking back at the x-rays. At the end of the visit, he basically told me to "hang in there." haha. I don't know whether he was talking to me or my teeth (as some might fall out any second). I'm only 26 years old and this should not happen. Now you would think that after hearing that news about my teeth I would swore off sweets forever. Well, the masochist in me, I guess, decided to cook some Yema Candy! Ow! Yema candy is basically this sweet candy, resambling an Irish potato, but sweet and much softer and airy (maybe less calories) than an Irish potato. It's good (if you make it right), but knowing me and deserts, my fingers are crossed for this one as I am REALLY craving this. I'll just brush and floss twice tonight :-).

Reference: http://www.best-recipe.net/recipedetail.aspx?id=1359
ORIGINAL RECIPE: no_image JO'S RECIPE:bistek

YEMA BALLS CANDY Ingredients

YEMA BALLS CANDY Ingredients
  • 1/2 can CARNATION Condense Milk
  • 6 egg yolks
  • 1 tbsp. calamansi juice
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/2 can Condensed Milk
  • 6 egg yolks
  • 1 tbsp. lemon juice
  • 2 tbsp. of butter
  • 1 cup sugar


YEMA BALLS CANDY Procedures: YEMA BALLS CANDY Procedures:
  • 1. Combine all ingredients except sugar in a kawali. Cook stirring constantly over low fire until mixture leaves the sides of the pan. Cool thoroughly then shape into 1/2-inch diameter balls. Let stand for about 10 min.
  • 2. Caramelize sugar. Dip yema balls in caramel using a toothpick. Make sure the whole ball is coated. Arrange in a greased tray and cool. Wrap in cellophane.
  • 1. Melt the butter. Combine all ingredients (except sugar). Cook stirring constantly over low fire until mixture leaves the sides of the pan. Cool thoroughly then shape into 1/2-inch diameter balls. Let stand for about 10 min.
  • 2. Caramelize sugar. Dip yema balls in caramel using a toothpick. Make sure the whole ball is coated. Arrange in a greased tray and cool. Place in a small baking cups.

VIDEO:

Video Commentary: Ahhh! I took the mixture out too soon. The balls ended up being too soft and the caramel hardened before I could dip it. Damn it, damn it, damn it! Next: Tocilog Breakfast!

No comments:

Post a Comment