Monday, June 29, 2009

Day 7- Turrón



TODAY'S RECIPE: Turrón (sweet fried bananas)

Blog Commentary: I was in a sweet banana, frying type of mood. The hubs and I decided to go grocery shopping to stock up on the filipino ingredients and actually asked someone who knew how to make a bananaque. You might remember my disastrous attempt to make a bananaque. I asked my mom what she used and she told me she used plantains. I guess you can use those too, but the recipe didn't require the plantains so I tried to find something that resembled a banana in the saba variety (not plantains). It was a little hard to cut. (I gotta get my Cutco chef's knife from back home). It was a little slippery. However, this turned out pretty well. It was a lumpia, part II type of experience.I'm think I'm good w/ the frying now. As you can see from below, the original author's recipe doesn't have measurements. I just tried to guess how much I needed when I made this. Oh, and I pan friend, instead of deep. A little longer, but I liked saving the oil.

Reference:http://www.nibbledish.com/people/lealea/recipes/classic-filipino-turon
ORIGINAL RECIPE: turron JO'S RECIPE:no_image

TURRON Ingredients

TURRON Ingredients
  • ripe bananas
  • water
  • mixture of brown and white sugar
  • spring roll wrapping
  • bunch of ripe bananas (saba variety)
  • 2 cups of water
  • 1/4 cup mixture of brown and white sugar
  • pack of spring roll wrapping


TURRON Procedures: TURRON Procedures:
  • 1.Quarter long bananas, by cutting them in half, then cut them lengthwise.
  • 2. Dip them in water.
  • 3. Mix a little golden brown sugar and white sugar together and sprinkle over top wet bananas.
  • 4. Wrap in spring roll wrapping.
  • 5. (Optional) Tap some water on spring roll and sprinkle sugar mixture over top. This will create less "clean" but sugary tops.
  • 6. Deep fry until golden and transfer to paper towel on a plate to absorb oil.
  • 1.Quarter long bananas, by cutting them in half, then cut them lengthwise.
  • 2. Dip them in water.
  • 3. Mix a little golden brown sugar and white sugar together and sprinkle over top wet bananas.
  • 4. Wrap in spring roll wrapping.
  • 5. (Optional) Tap some water on spring roll and sprinkle sugar mixture over top. This will create less "clean" but sugary tops.
  • 6. Heat the pan under meadium heat and fry sides (4-5 mins on each flattened side, about 2 mins for the 2 smaller sides) , on theuntil golden and transfer to paper towel on a plate to absorb oil.

VIDEO:

Video Commentary: This was such a fast cooking experience that I tried to doing ANOTHER dish afterwards as a bonus. a macapuno ball candy. The only recipe that I found was this one: http://www.filipinovegetarianrecipe.com/fruit_preserves/macapuno_balls.php which wasn't too helpful because I basically got a mush of sweetness in a big pot. So mad. So anyone out there that has a good step by step recipe, please comment!. Next: Pork BBQ

No comments:

Post a Comment